Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Boniface General Hospital (409 avenue Taché, Winnipeg)
The original St. Boniface Hospital, a modest building with four beds, opened its door on 5 August 1871. Sister Ste-Therese, the first Superior, was known in the region as a nurse-pharmacist and “sister physician”. She left behind her the unforgettable memory of creative charity in the Red River colony.
The hospital gradually expanded, with additions made in 1877 and 1887, and with the building of a nursing school in 1897, as well as several other services. Today’s St. Boniface General Hospital has 850 beds, 4,000 employees and 500 physicians. Affiliated with the University of Manitoba, this teaching hospital provides specialized tertiary care. Although remaining owners of the hospital, the Grey Nuns, in 1969, hired Louis Anthony Quaglia as the first lay administrator of the institution.
Located behind the hospital on the banks of the Red River, a plaque describes the development of the hospital through the years.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 September 2018
Back to top of page