Memorable Manitobans: Constance May “Connie” Davidson (1925-2012)
Born in the Lake Max district on 19 April 1925, daughter of Marjorie and David Davidson, she attended Lake Max School and Boissevain Collegiate where she received the B. J. Hales Scholarship to attend the Central Normal School. She then embarked on a 33-year teaching career that included service as the Principal of Rugby High School (1946-1947) and Lyleton School (1961-1964). She also taught at Killarney, Morden, and Brandon, and also taught in Ethiopia. Along the way she received degrees from the University of Manitoba and Brandon College. She received life memberships in the Brandon School Division, Delta Kappa Gamma, and Assiniboine Historical Society. In 1974, she married Richard Howey (1924-2004) and they farmed near Harding until 1989 when they retired to Brandon. She wrote a history of Lyleton and co-edited Home to Harding with her husband (1981), and was a founder of the Assiniboine Historical Society. She died at Brandon on 29 January 2012 and was buried in the Brandon Cemetery.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Grave transcription [Constance Howey], Brandon Cemetery.
Obituary [Constance Howey], Brandon Sun.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 January 2015
Back to top of page