Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rugby High School / Elton Collegiate (Forrest, RM of Elton)
In 1932, a pressing need in the Rural Municipality of Elton for a high school resulted in the opening of a facility for grades 9, 10 and 11 in Forrest. It was named Rugby High School because it was part of the Rugby School District at the time. Initially, classes were held in a house owned by the Manitoba Pool Elevators, under teacher Edith Winnifred Morrison (daughter of School Inspector James Boyd Morrison). Later they moved to the Forrest Hall where classes continued until 1949. Eventually, a separate school building was constructed and it became known as Elton Collegiate.
Among the other teachers of Rugby High School were Miss Hazel Poynser and Kathleen Violet Harkins “Kay” Sample.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Homesteaders and Homemakers: A History of Elton Municipality in its First Century by Elton Historical Committee, 1973. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.E48 Hom]
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 September 2020