Memorable Manitobans: William Frederick Abbott (1890-1974)
Born at Stockton on 10 January 1890, son of Albert E. Abbott and Annie Brown, brother of Albert Clifford Abbott, he moved to Winnipeg in 1907 and attended Wesley College. In 1916, he graduated as the gold medalist in Medicine. During the First World War, he served with the Canadian Army Medical Corps and received the Military Cross in 1917. He then did postgraduate work at the Winnipeg General Hospital and the Women’s Hospital in New York City. He co-founded, with his brother, the Abbott Clinic in Winnipeg. He was a member of the teaching staff of the University of Manitoba and the St. Boniface Hospital, retiring in 1957 as Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology. An ardent hunter and sports fan, he was one of the founders of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers Football Club and served as club physician for many years, and a founder of the Winnipeg Winter Club. He was President of the Junior Section of the Winnipeg Board of Trade. He died at Winnipeg on 2 January 1974.
Attestation papers, Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 4 January 1974, page 37.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 April 2020
Back to top of page