MHS Centennial Organization: Winnipeg Automobile Club / Manitoba Motor League / CAA Manitoba
In 1899, the first automobile arrived in Winnipeg. The gasoline-powered, three-wheeled vehicle, steered with a primitive tiller, was owned by Dr. Edgar Kenrick of St. John’s College. The number of motorists increased quickly to the point where, in March 1904, a dozen enthusiasts met at Kenrick’s home to discuss the formation of a club, to be known as the Winnipeg Automobile Club. Its patron was to be Lieutenant-Governor Daniel H. McMillan.
Its mission made it the first of its kind in Canada: to protect the rights of those who drove an automobile. It grew rapidly, as the auto became the vehicle of choice for a growing number of Manitobans, to the point where it is considered by many to be a basic necessity of life. Decades later, the Club evolved into the Manitoba Motor League, and is now known as CAA Manitoba to reflect its federation in the Canadian Automobile Association.
An MHS Centennial Organization Award was presented to Jerry Kruk of CAA Manitoba by Gordon Goldsborough on 16 May 2004.
Founding Members (1904)
Winnipeg Automobile Club files, CAA Manitoba.
Page revised: 8 May 2023