Presidents | General Managers | Sources
This bank, known originally as the Union Bank of Lower Canada when it was founded in Quebec City in 1865, dropped “Lower” from its name in 1886. Its headquarters were relocated to Winnipeg in 1912 and it operated a network of branches across the prairies until its merger with the Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) in 1925. As a result of the merger, for the first time in its history the RBC held more assets than the Bank of Montreal. Two Winnipeggers, R. T. Riley and W. R. Allan, joined the RBC board in 1926.
Assistant General Managers
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Bank Building (504 Main Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Bank Annex (500 Main Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Bank Building (109 North Railway Avenue, Deloraine, Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Bank Building / Virden Land Titles Office (190 Nelson Street West, Virden)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Bank Building / Birdtail Country Museum (738 Main Street, Birtle, Municipality of Prairie View)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Bank Building / Bank of Montreal Building (33 Main Street, Carberry)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Bank Building / Hamiota and District Archive (39 Maple Avenue East, Hamiota)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lakeside Fresh Air Camp War Memorial (RM of Gimli)
The Buildings of the Winnipeg-Based Union and Northern Crown Banks: A Glimpse into Early Twentieth Century Corporate Architecture by David Spector
Manitoba History, Number 21, Spring 1991
We thank Joseph Martin for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 December 2016
Back to top of page