Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fanning Block / Union Bank Building / Royal Bank Building (Main Street, Newdale, Municipality of Harrison Park)
This two-storey building on Main Street in Newdale, in the Municipality of Harrison Park, was built in 1906 by businessman Albert Robert Fanning (1858-1942). Originally a wood frame structure, it was later covered in brick veneer and its front entrances were modified. The eastern half of the building was used between 1906 and 1955 as the Newdale post office while the western half was used initially by the private bank of Fanning and Hopper and, after 1910, by the Union Bank of Canada (Royal Bank of Canada after the company’s 1925 merger). The second floor provided residential space for bank employees.
The eastern side of the building was occupied by a physician (1960s) and an insurance agency (1977-1980). The building was then used as a restaurant until around 1984. It was later purchased by someone with plans to convert the building into an apartment block but the project did not come to fruition. The building was vacant at the time of a 2019 site visit.
“Official opening [Jack’s Rainbow Diner],” Shoal Lake Star, 14 October 1982, page 12.
Newdale 1870-2000 by Newdale Community Historical Society, 2000, pages 15-17, 123-126, 306.
We thank Susan Proven, Lorraine Stevenson, Chris Milne, and Bruce Dalgarno for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 May 2020
Back to top of page