Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


MHS Resources: Manitoba Bricks and Blocks: Edrans-Brandon Pressed Brick Company / National Clay Products Company

A directory of brick-making in Manitoba
Bricks

A directory of block-making in Manitoba
Blocks

People involved in brick and block-making in Manitoba
People

A glossary of terms relating to bricks and blocks
Glossary

J. A. C. Blackwood established a brick yard in the summer of 1901 near Edrans. He shipped a first carload of brick in early October and his first season was considered a success. He continued having steady production in the following years. In July 1905, the Edrans-Brandon Pressed Brick Company was incorporated with Brandon listed as its chief place of business. Members of the Blackwood family remained principle owners of the company.

The yard site was on 12 acres of land with excellent clay deposits and the plant was served by a Canadian Pacific Railway side line. The plant drew its power from a 60-horsepower engine and boasted a sixty-foot smokestack and a large roofed shed for clay storage. The plant had the capacity to produce 20,000 pressed brick per day and had unique kilns, each having 14 chimneys.

The company changed hands in March 1924 and became the National Clay Products Company, headquartered in Winnipeg. This firm was established by William E. Hales of the Hales brick-making family and had operated brick yards earlier at Rapid City and Brookdale. The bricks produced by National Clay were said to be as hard as flint, came in six colours and were uniform in size and shape. In the 1925 season, the firm had sold 500,000 bricks and, in 1926, the Hales family patriarch Robert D. Hales came out of retirement to superintend the Edrans plant.

National Clay became one of the last old-style brick plants and manufactured bricks until the Second World War.

Projects

Building

Location

Year

Status

S. J. Jackson House

Stonewall

1905

 

Crawford Block

640 Rosser Avenue, Brandon

1907

 

Deer Lodge Hospital

2109 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg

1916

 

Salvation Army College

1091 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg

1927

 

Nurses’ Home and Mental Hospital

Manitoba Avenue, Selkirk

?

 

University of Manitoba buildings

Winnipeg

?

 

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Edrans Brickworks (Edrans, Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

Sources:

“A handsome block,” Brandon Sun, 15 August 1907, page 32.

Manitoba Brickmakers by Hugh Henry, Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature, 1992.

Manitoba Brick Yards by Randy Rostecki, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch Report, May 2010.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 9 May 2020

Leary Brickworks

Manitoba Bricks and Blocks

A history of the manufacture of bricks and concrete blocks in Manitoba, based on research by Randy Rostecki for the Manitoba Historic Resources Branch and supplemented by information compiled by Gordon Goldsborough of the Manitoba Historical Society. .

Bricks | Blocks | People | Glossary

We thank Hugh Arklie, Gordon McDiarmid, and Heather Bertnick for their help in the development of this online guide. Financial support of the Thomas Sill Foundation is gratefully acknowledged. Additional information was provided by Ina Bramadat, David Butterfield, Neil Christoffersen, Frank Korvemaker, Ed Ledohowski, Ken Storie, Lynette Stow, and Tracey Winthrop-Meyers.

© 2010-2020
Randy Rostecki, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch, Gordon Goldsborough, and Manitoba Historical Society.
All rights reserved.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.