Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 90
Manitoba
History

No. 90

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Crawford Block / Kennedy Block (640 Rosser Avenue, Brandon)

This three-storey building in Brandon was constructed in mid-1907 for businessman Edward Crawford using red bricks obtained from the Edrans-Brandon Pressed Brick Company. Initially a two-storey building, its main floor was occupied for over thirty years by the men’s clothing retailer Gooden Rae & Company (owned by Crawford with partners William S. Gooden and John E. Rae) and a cafe, with residential space on the upper floor. Following a disastrous fire on 31 December 1915 that started in its basement, the block was almost completely rebuilt by architect David Marshall, becoming a three-storey structure with the top two floors being residential. In 1941, the building was acquired by P. A. Kennedy Music Company Limited and it became known as the Kennedy Block. The company operated at this location for over thirty years then, for another thirty years, the building was occupied by the Trade Fair Exchange. The block has undergone restoration and now offers both commercial and residential space.

Crawford Block / Kennedy Block

Crawford Block / Kennedy Block (May 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.84836, W99.94703
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: David Marshall (1879-?)

Sources:

“A handsome block,” Brandon Sun, 15 August 1907, page 32.

“$30,000 fire in Crawford Block Friday night,” Brandon Sun, 6 January 1916, page 18.

“Plans to improve and enlarge the Crawford Block,” Brandon Sun, 13 April 1916, page 31.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 12 August 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.