Historic Sites of Manitoba: Deer Lodge Hospital (2109 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
The Deer Lodge Hospital in Winnipeg was established in 1916 as a convalescence facility for soldiers returning from the First World War. In 1928, a military wing was constructed on the east side of the original building by contractor J. L. Guay. Another wing was added in 1929 by contractor R. N. Wyatt. A two-storey corridor to connect the old and new wings of the hospital, a new clinical wing, two treatment pavilions, a boiler house and utilities building, and a nurses residence were built between 1942 and 1945 by contractor Gerard Alphonsus “Gerry” Baert.
The hospital became a provincial facility in 1983.
Photos & Coordinatesfc
“Plan Deer Lodge Hospital addition,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 November 1942, page 19.
“Award contract for Deer Lodge clinical wing,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 March 1943, page 1.
“G. A. Baert gets contract for hospital pavilions,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 December 1943, page 3.
“G. A. Baert gets $207,000 contact for Deer Lodge,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 March 1945, page 4.
“G. A. Baert awarded local building contract,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 July 1945, page 6.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 25 June 2023