Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hilton School No. 395 (RM of Prairie Lakes)
The Hilton School District was established formally in February 1885 and a school building was later erected in the northeast corner of 20-6-16 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Rural Municipality of Prairie Lakes. The school closed in January 1961 and its remaining students went to Wawanesa Consolidated School No. 2393. The building is no longer on the site but a monument commemorates it.
Among the teachers of Hilton School were Mrs. U. D. Staples (1887), F. N. Spencer (1895), John Braithwaite Wallis (1896-1897), Theodore A. Girling (1898-1899, 1903), A. Percy Wilson (1900), Margaret L. Mott (1901), George Eugeen mcKee (1902), Agnes Mott (1903), Wilfred Sandilands (1904), Clara E. Hill (1905, 1918, 1920), Mary Graham (1909), Frank Schultz, Gordon McLaren, Isabelle Finlayson, Murdo Finlayson, Jessie Dayton, Jean Gordon, Mr. Clark, Mr. Fiddle, Miss Ross, Grover Vrooman, Lottie Green (1915-1916), Frances Rutledge (1916), Frances Lawlor (1917), Margaret Putnam (1919), Mary Overend (1919), Mary Graham (1919), Isabella Milloy (1920), Nellie Dayton (1921), Annie Mary Girling (1921), Annie Brodie Carswell Dunn (1921), Ruth Bates (1921), Gilberta Partridge (1921-1922, 1923-1924), Inez Overend (1922-1923), Iris Clark (1924-1925), Lizzie Scott (1925-1926), Gladys Dowd (1926-1927), Wesley Graham (1927-1928), George Littlejohn (1928-1930), Pearl Clark (1930-1933), Phyllis Marshall (1933-1934), Gladys McIntyre (1934-1937), Margaret Emily Braund (1937-1939), Violet Rose Blaker (1939), Alice Frances Thomas (1940), and Beryl Averal Robinson (1940).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Hilton Heritage, Hilton History Book Committee, 1987, page 25.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 July 2019
Back to top of page