Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rosa School / Senkiw School No. 1387 (Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
The Rosa School District was organized formally in June 1906 and a school building was erected near this location in the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin, on the southwest quarter of 17-3-5 east of the Principal Meridian. It was later relocated to the southeast quarter and, in 1928, was renamed Senkiw School. Students from the south side of the Roseau River crossed the river in a hand-powered cable basket until 1947 when a suspension bridge replaced it.
A new school building was erected in 1947 and used until 1967 when it closed permanently. The building is no longer on the site. The suspension bridge fell into disrepair until being restored as a municipal heritage site and opened in 2005 as part of the Trans-Canada Trail, along a section of the former Crow Wing Trail. A monument commemorating Senkiw School was erected at the trailhead.
Among the teachers of Rosa School / Senkiw School were Theo. Soukey? [Sankey?] (1906-1908), J. W. Craban (1908-1909), Peter S. Sankey (1910-1911), William M. Cahute (1912-1915), Alex Klymok (1915), John R. Speer (1916), Peter Roscoe (1918-1919), Andrew Hrudka (1920-1921), Lottie V. Loosemore (1921), A. W. August (1921-1922), Leonard Draper (1922), John Tanchak (1922-1923), Joseph F. Terlecki (1923), H. Smala (1923), Harry Weinberg (1924), Michael P. Lutack (1924-1927), Dmytro Tanchak (1927-1929), Ann J. Mihaychuk (1929-1931), Mary Topolniski (1931-1932), Frances Lasko (1932-1936), Alexander Nazeravich (1936-1937), Peter Jack Olchowecki (1937-1940), Marian L. Tophen (1940-1941), Emily I. Treichel (1942-1943), Nicholas Andrusko (1943-1944), Dorothy Louise Johnson (1944-1945), Mary Poetker (1946-1947), William Kawalchuk (1947-1948), Maurice Kohut (1948-1952, 1953-1955), Neta Friesen (1952-1953), Roman Dmytro Smook (1956-1958), William Stepaniuk (1958, 1959), Mary Ann Chubey (1958 substitute, 1959-1963), Teresa Ann Dolychuk (1963-1964), Alice Donna Ostrowsky (1964-1966), and Anthony John Kozachenko (1966-1967)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Rosa School District No. 1387 Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Senkiw School District No. 1387 Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 24 October 2018
Back to top of page