Historic Sites of Manitoba: Senkiw Suspension Bridge (Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
This bridge over the Roseau River in the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin was built in 1946 to enable students living on the south side of the river to attend Senkiw School on the north side. It replaced a hand-powered basket and pulley system that had been used nearby since 1916. The bridge, made of locally available materials such as cables wound around old threshing machine cylinders, was used daily by generations of local children. It required major repairs following a catastrophic flood in 1950. After the school closed in 1967, the bridge fell into disrepair. It was restored between 2004 and 2005 as a link in the Trans-Canada Trail, and was designated in 2005 as a municipal historic site.
Senkiw Suspension Bridge (September 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.19844, W96.88282
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Senkiw School No. 1387 (Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oldenburg Suspension Bridge (RM of Whitemouth)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Valley River Suspension Bridge (RM of Dauphin)
Suspension Bridge, SW 8-3-5E, Senkiw area, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 July 2016
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.