A monument on the grounds of the St-Pierre-Jolys Museum commemorates the Crow Wing Trail, a segment of which ran nearby, connecting the Red River Settlement (now Winnipeg) to St. Paul, Minnesota. In 1844, additional segments were opened by Peter Garrioch. Referred to locally as “Chemin Saint-Paul” or “La Route de L’Aile de Corbeau”, the Crow Wing Trail played an important role in the development of Saint-Pierre-Jolys and the surrounding district.
The site is also part of the Trans Canada Trail in Manitoba, connecting Winnipeg to Emerson at the Canada-US border. Volunteers from five rural municipalities and one First Nation created the Crow Wing Trail Association and continue to develop the 193-km multi-use trail.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Convent of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary / Saint-Pierre-Jolys Museum (432 Joubert Street, St-Pierre-Jolys)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Origin of the Trail Plaque (St. Anne’s Road, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rosa School / Senkiw School No. 1387 (Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
The Old Crow Wing Trail by John Christian Schultz
MHS Transactions, Series 1, Number 45, 1894
Crow Wing Trail
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Rose Kuzina.
Page revised: 18 December 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.