The first owner of his stately house was Robert R. Scott who earned his fortune in the fruit business and also was President of the Sovereign Life Assurance Company. Designed by local architect J. N. Semmens, the 2½-storey structure was constructed in 1914 by the J. McDiarmid Company for $20,000. After Scott died in 1924, his widow continued living there until 1930. Subsequent occupants have included George R. Ryan, Dr. George W. McIntosh, and James E. Coyne. In 1995, the building received a Preservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg. It is a municipally-designated historic site.
R. R. Scott House (2006)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.87406, W97.16300
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Robert Ross Scott (1857-1924)
Memorable Manitobans: John Nelson Semmens (1879-1960)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scott Fruit Company Warehouse (319 Elgin Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scott House (205 Eaton, Selkirk)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scott House (Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: R. R. Scott House (29 Ruskin Row, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scott House (266 River Road, RM of St. Andrews)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Margaret Scott Nursing Mission (99 George Street, Winnipeg)
29 Ruskin Row, Robert R. Scott House, Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, May 1991.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 October 2016
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.