This two-storey wood frame house on Colony Street in Winnipeg was designed by architect Alexander D. Melville and built in 1904 for clerk John C. Scott. He lived here until the 1910s. The next occupant was Richard J. Marr of Marr’s Star Home Bakery who constructed a bakery addition to the house to supply his store on Portage Avenue.
Memorable Manitobans: Alexander D. Melville (1873-1949)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scott House (205 Eaton, Selkirk)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scott House (Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scott House (29 Ruskin Row, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scott House (266 River Road, RM of St. Andrews)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scott House (200 Colony Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Margaret Scott Nursing Mission (99 George Street, Winnipeg)
John C. Scott House, 200 Colony Street by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, February 2008.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 August 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.