Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Young Historians 2019
Young
Historians
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Maryland Street Methodist Church / Maryland Methodist Church / Maryland United Church (576 Maryland Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

A small group of people held a church service in a cottage at 542 Maryland Street, between Sargent Avenue and Ellice Avenue in Winnipeg, on 9 November 1902. Initially a mission of the Young Methodist Church, it was formally established as the Maryland Street Methodist Church (later shortened to Maryland Methodist Church) on 28 April 1903 through the efforts of local resident Mary McKillop Dunfield (1852-1930).

Architectural plans for a church building to be built at the southwest corner of Maryland Street and Ellice Avenue were prepared by Joseph Greenfield and construction commenced in late 1903. The $3,500 facility was dedicated and opened by Rev. O. Darwin and Rev. Dr. Stewart on 3 January 1904. The congregation expanded quickly to fill the church’s 350-seat capacity, and less than two years later, the building was given a $10,000 expansion based upon designs of architect Henry E. Ewart. The church re-opened on 8 January 1906.

By October 1913, with Sunday School classes being held in three nearby buildings including the Icelandic Hall at the northwest corner of McGee Street and Sargent Avenue, further expansion of the church was warranted. Three ajoining lots were purchased and construction of a wood frame structure designed by John N. Semmens began in the spring of 1914. The new $65,000 edifice had a seating capacity for about 1,200 people. In 1935, the building was refurbished, repainted, and re-decorated but, by late 1942, the building needed repairs and the United Church decided there were sufficient other churches in close proximity to serve local demand. The final sermon was given by Rev. R. E. Spence on 27 December 1942, after which the congregants dispersed to other churches. By mid-1943, the manse was sold, the bell tower was disassembled, and the church building was demolished.

Clerics

Period

Cleric

1902-1904

James Wilfred Melvin (1877-1965)

1904-1908

Robert Erastus Spence (1867-1957)

1908-1912

James Charles Walker (1858-1914)

1912-1916

Rev. Andrew Hamilton

1916-1919

James Lumb Batty (1860-1922)

1919-1922

Rev. A. S. Colwell

1923-1926

Eber Crummy (1852-1939)

1926-1929

Rev. George L. Waite

1929-1937

Rev. E. Howard Smith

1937-1942

Rev. W. T. Brady

Photos & Maps

Maryland Methodist Church

Maryland United Church (1943)
Source: Winnipeg Tribune, 15 June 1943, page 13.

Site Location (lat/long): N49.89637, W97.16016
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“Methodist extension,” Winnipeg Tribune, 31 August 1903, page 5.

“Sunday services [Maryland Street],” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 September 1903, page 11.

“Church opening,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 January 1904, page 7.

“Maryland Street,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 March 1904, page 3.

“Maryland church social,” Manitoba Free Press, 1 July 1904, page 14.

“Coming events [Owing to the church enlargement the Maryland Methodist Church ...],” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 November 1905, page 12.

“Street lamps in use,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 January 1906, page 1.

“Maryland Methodist Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 January 1906, page 4.

“Farewell sermon,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 June 1908, page 16.

“Comes to Winnipeg from Leamington,” Manitoba Free Press, 29 June 1912, page 5.

“Want new church; subscribe $24,000,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 January 1913, page 2.

“Maryland Methodists,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 October 1913, page 26.

“Maryland Methodists may build,” Manitoba Free Press, 5 June 1914, page 24.

“Sunday School in 3 buildings,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 June 1914, pge 19.

“Twelfth anniversary,” Manitoba Free Press, 19 October 1914, page 16.

“The late Rev. J. C. Walker,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 February 1914, page 24.

“Maryland Methodists make rapid strides forward,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 July 1916, page 21.

“Maryland will unveil Honor Roll,” Winnipeg Tribune, 12 Mary 1917, page 37.

“Maryland Methodist progresses,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 June 1918, page 25.

“Maryland Methodist Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 January 1922, page 16.

“Maryland Methodist Church congregation welcomes new pastor,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 September 1919, page 3.

“Pastor leaves to recuperate,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 November 1922, page 10.

“Life found in love returned in service,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 August 1923, page 9.

“Receives call,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 May 1926, page 8.

“Pioneers of Maryland United Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 February 1927, page 9.

“Will celebrate 25th birthday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 February 1927, page 9.

“Maryland United Church observes 25th anniversary,” Manitoba Free Press, 19 February 1927, page 22.

“Accepts call,” Winnipeg Tribune, 12 October 1929, page 16.

“Receives call,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 November 1929, page 2.

“Sunday School will celembrate 28th birthday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 May 1930, page 16.

“Memorial meet to be held for church founder,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 June 1930, page 27.

“Church will be reopened for services,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 March 1935, page 15.

“Receives call,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 April 1937, page 28.

“Receives call,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 September 1937, page 32.

“"Propose sale of Maryland United Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 September 1942, page 1.

“Closing service,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 December 1942, page 4.

“Yuletide spirit is emphasized in Winnipeg church services,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 December 1942, page 5.

“Post-war problems confront Presbytery of United Church,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 January 1943, page 3.

[Photo caption; Landmark to disappear], Winnipeg Tribune, 15 June 1943, page 13.

“News briefs,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 july 1943, page 13.

“Curtain rung down on Maryland United,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 September 1943, page 5.

“30 years ago - March 30, 1935,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 March 1965, page 12.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

We thank Barbara Carson Jardine for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 7 April 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.