Historic Sites of Manitoba: Makinak School No. 979 (Makinak, RM of Lakeshore)
The Makinak School District was organized formally in July 1898, operating in Makinak in what is now the Rural Municipality of Lakeshore. Initially, a one-room wood frame school building operated on a site next to the Methodist/Presbyterian Church. In 1918, it was replaced by a two-storey, two-classroom red brick veneer structure erected on a design by Dauphin architect Joseph Henry Bossons. Electricity was installed in the building in 1947 or 1948, and a third classroom was added to its east side in 1955. Running water and flush toilets were added in 1957.
In 1964, the district was consolidated with Carrick School No. 1639 and Woodbend School No. 1886 to form Makinak Consolidated School No. 2428. The school was closed in 1971 and its remaining students went to Dauphin or Ochre River. The building stood vacant until 1980 when it was demolished. Only its concrete foundation remains. A commemorative monument at the site, topped with a metal model of the school, was erected in July 1987.
Some of the other teachers of Makinak School included Mr. H. Belford (1899), Miss Mabel Crowe (1919), Miss Mary Cumming (1919), Audrey Rhind Arnett (1934-1936), John E. Ingot (1938), Marion Smith (1938), H. Andre (1938), W. McFee (1938), and Paul I. Robinson.
Photos & Coordinates
“Tender for building,” Manitoba Free Press, 2 March 1918, page 26.
“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.
“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.
“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.
“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.
“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, pages 1, 6.
“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.
“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 4.
“Teaching staff for area schools increases to 132 for opening 1963-64 term,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 21 August 1963, page 1.
“All area schools open classes next Tuesday, 131 on teaching staffs,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 26 August 1964, page 1.
“All schools in area open classes Sept. 1 – 133 on teaching staffs,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 25 August 1965, page 1, 8.
Between Mountain and Lake: A History of Ochre River Rural Municipality, 1885-1970 by Ochre River Women’s Institute History Committee, Neepawa: The Neepawa Press, 1970, pages 232, 241, 245-247.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 December 2020