Historic Sites of Manitoba: Woodbend School No. 1886 (RM of Lakeshore)
The Woodbend School District was organized formally in June 1917 and a school building was erected the following year, on the southeast quarter of 5-22-16 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Rural Municipality of Lakeshore. In 1956, the building was sold to a local farmer for use as a workshop and the building from Granville School was moved here. In 1964, its district was consolidated with Carrick School No. 1639 and Makinak School No. 979 to form Makinak Consolidated School No. 2428. The building was moved to Dauphin to be converted into a workshop. A commemorative monument at the site, topped with a metal model of the school, was erected in July 1987.
Among the teachers of Woodbend School were P. Gullat, Myrta Ross, B. Thompson, Eileen Thompson, Edith Blagdon, V. Currie, B. Cameron, F. Norminton, M. Smith, W. Arksey, W. Fee, S. Fee, P. Ducklow, E. Harrison, D. M. Britton, L. Kurchaba, A. Henderson, H. W. Jones, D. Kostiew, Donald Van Duesen (1954-1955), Miss Evelyn M. McNaughton (1955-1956), Theodore Humeniuk (1956-1957), Sally L. Walker (1957-1958), Randolph Reimer (1958-1959), Joe Gosskie (1959-1960), and Barry Knight (1960-1961).
“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.
“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.
“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.
“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.
“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, page 1.
“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.
“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 4.
Between Mountain and Lake: A History of Ochre River Rural Municipality, 1885-1970 by Ochre River Women’s Institute History Committee, Neepawa: The Neepawa Press, 1970, pages 250-251.
McCreary: Milestones and Memories by McCreary History Book Committee, 1987, page 160.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 February 2021