Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carrick School No. 1639 (RM of Lakeshore)
The Carrick School District was organized formally in July 1912, named for Carrick, Ireland. A school building was not erected until two years later, on the southeast quarter of 30-22-16 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Rural Municipality of Lakeshore. The school closed in 1959 due to lack of students. Its district was consolidated in 1964 with Makinak School No. 979 and Woodbend School No. 1886 to form Makinak Consolidated School No. 2428. The building remained at the site until at least the 1980s, used as a granary, but is now gone. A commemorative cairn at the site, topped with a metal model of the school, was erected in July 1987.
Some of the teachers who taught at Carrick School included Helen Cumming (1914), Letitia Whaley, L. Loosemore, Miss Stevens, Mrs. E. Recknell (1954-1955), Miss Muriel Reese (1955-1956), Gerhard Loewen (1956-1958), and Mrs. Elaine Reimer (1958-1959).
“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.
“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.
“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.
“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.
“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, page 1.
“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 1.
Between Mountain and Lake: A History of Ochre River Rural Municipality, 1885-1970 by Ochre River Women’s Institute History Committee, Neepawa: The Neepawa Press, 1970, pages 249-250.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 January 2017
Back to top of page