Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elgin Consolidated School No. 153 (Elgin, Municipality of Grassland)
The Elgin School District was organized around 1884 in Elgin in what is now the Municipality of Grassland. In 1912, Elgin Consolidated School was formed by its consolidation with Alice School No. 153, Gilead School No. 565, Maguire School No. 1073, and Millerway School No. 250. Other schools joined through the years, including Crown School No. 184 (1930), Croll School No. 1929 (1959), Barber School No. 423 (1962), West Hall School No. 550 (1964), and Fairfax Consolidated School No. 1195 (1966).
The building closed in 1951 and was replaced by a new structure. The school closed in 1986 and a monument, dedicated in July 1988 at N49.44427, W100.27048, commemorates it.
Among the teachers who worked at Elgin School through the years was Frederick L. Johnston.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Elgin, Man”, Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map, 27 September 1916, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Bobbi Jo Panciera and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 August 2020