Historic Sites of Manitoba: Maguire School No. 1073 (RM of Whitewater)
The Maguire School District was organized formally in June 1900 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW8-5-21W in the Rural Municipality of Whitewater, on one acre of land purchased from W. J. Maguire. The school closed in 1913 when its district became consolidated into the Elgin Consolidated School District. The former school building was sold and renovated into a private residence.
The teachers of Maguire School were Miss Gahan, Bert Dewart, Miss McCall, Miss M. Stirling, Mr. W. G. McBurney, Mr. D. W. Doherty, Miss B. F. Halls, Mr. W. A. Edmunds, Mr. J. G. Dunlop, Mr. W. T. Coulter, Mr. W. S. Peters, Mr. F. L. Johnston, Levant Thompson, and Miss Nina McMorran.
Echoes of Elgin by Elgin Centennial Committee, 1970. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 December 2016
Back to top of page