Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Crown School No. 184 (Municipality of Grassland)

The Crown School District was established formally in August 1883 and a one-room school was built at NE24-6-21W, on land belonging to settler Joseph Taylor, in what is now the Municipality of Grassland. It operated until June 1930. The district was dissolved the following month and its catchment area was divided between Lily School District, Bunclody School District, Elgin Consolidated School District, and Fairfax Consolidated School District. Records for the school district are held by the S. J. McKee Archives.

Among the teachers of Crown School were Mary Steele (1887), Miss Lucinda Shewfelt (1892-1893), T. W. Clark (1893-1894), J. M. McGavin (1894), M. L. Kinley (1894), John O. Hettle (1895), George S. Pettypiece (1896), R. C. Pettypiece (1896), Agnes M. Miller (1897, 1899), E. Reekie (1898), Charles C. Cook (1898), E. Alverda Wrye (1900), Madelene L. Hewer (1901), May B. Sharman (1902), Clara Smith (1903), Eva E. M. Thompson (1903-1905), Essie R. Bryans (1906-1907), E. Dycer (1907), Alice O. Brown (1908-1909), Bertha C. Prouty (1910-1911), S. J. McGowan (1912), Isa G. Finlayson (1912), Ada L. Ibbetson (1912-1913), Jennie Mains (1914), A. Florence Sillers (1915-1916), Nettie M. Spratt (1916), Alice Olive Honeyman (1916-1917), C. Code (1918), Ethel Martin (1918), Allan F. Holloway (1919), L. Black (1919), Molly D. Hymovitch (1920), Catherine Rose (1920), Eva Mae Tracey (1921), Helen L. Stirling (1921), Francis H. Donaghy (1922), B. Halliday (1922), Ada J. Jones (1922-1923), Jean I. Ballentyne (1923), Mary E. Down (1923), C. M. Campbell (1923-1924), E. Pearl Reid (1924-1926), Kathleen J. Moreland (1928-1929), Marion G. McRuer (1929-1930), and Dorothy E. Hunter (1930).

Crown School

Crown School (no date) by George Hunter
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 65.

Site Location (lat/long): N49.50263, W100.17287
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Crown School Fonds, Acc. No. 997-31, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 18 November 2016

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.