Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2020

Prairie History No. 2
Prairie
History

No. 2

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Deloraine Methodist Church / Deloraine United Church (Deloraine, Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)

A Methodist Church was built in Deloraine, in what is now the Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester, in 1897. Its congregation united with that of a nearby Presbyterian Church and services were held here. Destroyed by fire in 1951, a new church was built within the walls of the older building in 1952.

Methodist ministers between 1884 and 1915 were Andrew Stewart, William Elliott, T. Ferrier, Wellington Bridgman (1892-?), Chancellor Teeter, Thomas Lawson, T. J. Johnston, J. Holmes Toole, William P. McHaffie, Francis J. Price, and W. McKim Young. The United Church ministers were W. Stanley Owen (1918-1919), J. lrvine Walker (1919-1921), Percy Victor Samson (1921-1926), J. Norrie Anderson (1926-1928), W. Westcott (1928-1929), A. W. Guild (1929-1933), Harry R. C. Avison (1933-1937), Dr. P. E. Scott (1937-1939), John W. Ridd (1939-1940), Tom D. Barnett (1940-1941), Duncan A. MacLean (1941-1949), Ian J. Harvey (1949-1956), D. Douglas Young (1956-1957), Alexander Sllitters (1957-1961), Robert L. Naglls (1961-1969), Stirling H. Brown (1969-1970), G. Lloyd Lovering (1970-1977), and Allan Saunders (1977-?).

Deloraine United Church

Deloraine United Church (July 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Location (lat/long): N49.19218, W100.49560
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Deloraine Presbyterian Church (Deloraine, Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)

Sources:

Deloraine Scans a Century: A History of Deloraine and District: 1880-1980 by Deloraine History Book Committee, 1980, page 51.

This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 23 March 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.