Historic Sites of Manitoba: Verona School No. 409 (Municipality of Two Borders)
The Verona School District was formed in July 1885. Debentures were issued to finance the construction of a school building on the northeast quarter of 16-2-26 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders. The first classes began in April 1886. In 1897, the school was moved to 15-1-26W. A new building was constructed at the same site in 1918, featuring a full basement, coal room, store room, cistern, and indoor toilet. In addition to supporting the educational activities of the district, the school also served as a community centre for church services, socials, and meetings.
The school closed in January 1958 and became part of Waskada Consolidated School No. 492. In August 1982, a commemorative cairn was erected at the site, near the former school building, which was still standing as of October 2011. It became a municipally designated historic site in August 2000.
Among the teachers of Verona School were A. F. Higgins (1886-1887), Pennie Veltala (1888-1889), Annie Thompson (1889-1890), Clara White (1890-1891), Terra Veitch (1891), Jeanette Stead (1892), Clara White (1892), Clara Potter (1893), Mary E. Campbell (1893-1894), J. W. Reid (1894-1896), M. Afflec (1896-1897), E. M. McFarlane (1897-1898), Nellie Sutherland (1898-1900), Lizzie B. Craig (1900-1901), Nettie L. Harrison (1901-1902), Jean Robson (1905-1906), Francis K. Purdie (1906-1907), Vera Strange (1907-1908), Sarah Hunter (1908-1909), Lillian Delaware (1909-1910), Margaret Fletcher (1910-1911), C. Strachan (1911-1912), I. G. McDonald (1912-1913), Bessie Branscombe Rutherford (1913-1914), Annie Johnston (1914-1915), A. M. Johnston (1915), Laura M. Robinson (1916), Belle Millar Penson (1916-1907), Helen Sage (1917-1918), Pearl A. Brown Milne (1918-1919), Stenna M. Barnett Holden (191-1921), Sadie Leslie (1921-1922), Dora Finnen Cromme (1922), M. Thompson Phillips (1923), B. M. Maude Taylor (1923-1924), Spencer Percival (1924), Hazel F. Gorham (1925), Bentina Erlandson (1925-1927), Olive Marion Powne Mills (1927-1928), Beatrice Fern Orriss (1928-1930), Hazel Smith Fowler (1930-1932), Ada Thompson Josephson (1932-1934), Margaret A. Thompson Sundal (1934-1942), Marjorie E. Palmer Tooke (1942-1944), Ruth E. Holden Bennie (1944-1946), Lois Holden Kirkwood (1946-1947), Audrey Lowery (1947-1948), William Skiydlowsky (1948-1949), Jeanne G. Colleaqux Usunier (1949-1950), Shirley Culbertson Cameron (1950-1951), Dorothy Trefry Beatty (1951-1952), Shirley Stonehouse Smart (1952-1953), D. Keith Kobbledick (1953), Daphne Pratt (1954), Helen Fisher Howden (1954-1955), E. J. Schapansky Cheyne (1955-1956), Mrs. Gwen Temple (1956-1957), and Mrs. Elsie Maxwell (1957).
Noteworthy students who attended Verona School included municipal official Roger Goethals.
Our First Century, Town of Melita and Municipality of Arthur: 1884-1984 by Melita-Arthur History Committee, 1983, Manitoba Legislative Library F5648.A78, pages 259-262.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Bridging Brenda: The History of Brenda Municipality and Area, Volume 1 by Brenda History Committee, 1990, pages 127-130.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Verona School, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 October 2022