Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Charleswood School No. 826 (Roblin Boulevard, RM of Charleswood)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources

The Charleswood School District was established formally in August 1894, and a wood frame school operated on lots 59 and 60, donated by local resident Pat Beauchemin, in what would later become the Municipality of Charleswood, now a suburb of Winnipeg. In 1914, the original schoolhouse was replaced at the site by a two-storey, red brick building designed by Winnipeg architect E. D. Tuttle. Initially named Beauchemin School, it was later renamed Charleswood School. By the 1930s, the school hosted grades 1 to 11 in three of its four classrooms, with the fourth room used as the municipal office. An indoor recreation facility was in the basement along with bathrooms that lacked running water. In 1951, it became Charleswood Consolidated School No. 2337, merging with Loudoun School No. 1511 and Chapman School No. 1677.

Charleswood School closed in 1956 and henceforth students went to other newly-constructed schools in the area: Beaumont School, Dieppe School, or Royal School. High school students went to Chapman School for a time until Charleswood Collegiate was built. The former Charleswood School building was taken over by the Royal Canadian Legion, which used it as a Legion Hall until a new structure was erected. The building was demolished in 1969.

Principals

Period

Principal

1923-1928

George M. Wade (?-?)

1928-1953

Kristjan Bergthor Sigurdsson (1899-?)

1953-1954

Ernest Friesen Reimer (1909-1999)

1954-1955

Irvin Labovitch

Teachers

Teacher

Year(s)

Hilda Johanna Arnason

1950-1952

Ella Audrey Brown

1950-1956

Joan Alice Butler

1955-1956

E. C. Cameron

1927

S. Margaret Cantelon

1950-1951

Beatrice Arnetta Connon (c1903-1971)

1955-1956

Gwendoline Nettie May Corbett

1949

Clara Louise Dee

1952

J. H. Dunlop

1927

James Robert Hodge Forrester

1955-1956

Christina Fraser

1944-1945

Ruth Elizabeth Galbraith

1949-1952, 1955-1956

Lewis Erwin Gendron

1949-1950

Maud P. Hill

1924

Miss N. Kassian

1953-1954

L. Magnusson

1944-1945

Nita McArthur

1924

Neil McTavish (1902-1968)

1958-1959

Benjamin Franklin Olson

1950-1952

Lillian Eva Elizabeth Robertson

1954-1956

Alice Marie Rousseau

1952-1953

Dorothy Mary Sheldrake

1947-1948

Jennie E. Tait

1952-1955

Photos & Maps

Charleswood School

The second Charleswood School building, known as the “Old Red Brick School”, in which the Charleswood municipal office was situated (1914)
Source: Len Van Roon

Charleswood School

The second Charleswood School (February 1933)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Acc. 1979-141, P7447, Album 4, Page 2.

Charleswood School

The second Charleswood School building being demolished (1969)
Source: Len Van Roon

Site Location (lat/long): N49.86164, W97.30104
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Photos & Fragments of Charleswood History: A Collection of Historic Photographs of our Community and the Stories They Tell by Len Van Roon & Verna Van Roon, 2003, pages 67-71.

Charleswood School Registers, GR10356, Archives of Manitoba.

“Charleswood lists teachers,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 September 1954, page 3.

We thank Len Van Roon and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 12 January 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.