Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Roblin Park Community Centre / Roblin Park School (640 Pepperloaf Crescent, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Formerly within Charleswood, this Winnipeg site was part of post-Second World War housing development initiated under, and financed by, the Veterans’ Land Act (VLA) for eligible servicemen. It encompassed 160 acres nestled between Roblin Boulevard (north), Harstone Road (east), Glenbush Street (south) and the property line between the residences along Scotswood Drive along with those on Vanscoy Road and Robindale Road (west).

Work began in 1946 and was based on architectural drawings of Herbert Henry Gatenby Moody and Robert E. “Bob” Moore, with Bird Construction Limited undertaking its physical manifestation. The Roblin Park name for the community was decided upon by Charleswood veterans around May 1946. A post office of the same Roblin Park name later operated within the community from July 1952 to November 1958.

Within the core of the subdevelopment, space was set aside for park and recreation grounds and a community centre, the latter for which an surplus army H-hut was sourced and purchased from a base at Portage la Prairie by early August 1948. To facilitate the relocation, it was cut in half and transported in two sections over road by J. Lowen of Steinbach, with the cost of the transfer and structure totalling $2,350. Once on site, it was re-assembled in a 120 feet long by 24 feet wide configuration and heavily renovated by local volunteer labour between late August and early October. The community centre housed a library, dance hall, club rooms, and a school for local children of primary-grade age.

Known as Roblin Park School, the temporary classroom space was rented from the club by the municipality and operated within the Charleswood School District No. 826. Classes began here on 30 August 1948, with the school remained operational for the next four years. The teachers of Roblin Park School were Margaret A. Young (1948-1949, grades 1-2), Gwendolyn Alice Parker (1949-1950, grades 1-2; 1950-1951, grades 1-3), and May Esthe Dempsey (1951-1952, grades 1-2). It became part of the Charleswood Consolidated School District No. 2327 in January 1951 and, upon the opening of Dieppe School in 1952, utilization of these quarters as a school came to an end.

The community centre structure itself was formally opened on 9 October 1948. Among those in attendance at the ceremonies were MLAs John McDowell and Ronald David Turner (RCAF and former President of Associated Community Clubs of Greater Winnipeg), Reeve John Holmes Cathcart, Reverends Maurice Poole, Philip Barker, Father Fitzgerald, and Roblin Park Community Club President Ken Davis.

Photos & Coordinates

Site Location (lat/long): N49.85356, W97.28888
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Herbert Henry Gatenby Moody (1903-1991)

Memorable Manitobans: Robert E. “Bob” Moore (1909-1995)

Sources:

“3 Veterans’ villages are being built up,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 August 1945, page 3.

“Veterans’ holdings named Roblin Park,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 May 1946, page 7.

“Wind rips shingles from Vet’s homes,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 September 1946, page 25.

“Welshing on the Veteran,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 October 1946, page 6.

“Roblin Park Centre seeking clubhouse,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 March 1948, page 3.

“Roblin Park Community Club seeks more funds for work,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 March 1948, page 3.

“New hall on way for community club,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 August 1948, page 3.

“Roblin Park community hums with activity,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 September 1948, page 3.

“Community Club opening oct. 9,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 September 1948, page 26.

“Community hall opening planned,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 October 1948, page 9.

“Roblin Park Community Centre meets Friday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 October 1948, page 3.

“Protest to School Board reported,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 June 1949, page 31.

“VLA holdings held ‘new way of life’,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 August 1949, page 11.

“Charleswood children back to school Monday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 August 1949, page 3.

“Roblin Park among winners of VLA communities contest,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 October 1949, page 3.

“Whilst drive to help purchase school radio,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 April 1950, page 13.

“Charleswood Board calls burglary tool case for school registrations going before jury,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 june 1950, page 3.

Post Offices and Postmasters, Library and Archives Canada.

Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.

Roblin Park - a mid-century modern Winnipeg subdivision,” by Randy Rostecki, 2013. [Winnipeg Architecture Foundation]

School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Charleswood School District No. 826 (Roblin Park School) - Daily Registers, GR10356, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Charleswood Consolidated School District No. 2327 (Roblin Park School) - Daily Registers, GR10356, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 28 December 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.