Historic Sites of Manitoba: Loudoun School No. 1511 (Wilkes Avenue, Winnipeg)
The Loudoun School District was established in July 1909 and a schoolhouse was constructed along Wilkes Avenue in the Municipality of Charleswood (now Winnipeg) at its intersection with Loudoun Road. The first class was held in September 1910 with 19 students. In 1920 the school was rebuilt and a full basement was added. By 1938, there were 48 students. A new school was built in 1951, slightly to the west at the intersection of Wilkes and Elmhurst, where electricity and city water would be available. The school closed in 1968 and the remaining students went to Charleswood Consolidated School No. 2327. The school building remains on the site and is used by the Pembina Trails School Division as a school bus dispatch facility.
Among the teachers of Loudoun School were Agnes Davidson (1917, 1918-1919), E. M. Bennett (1918), Jessie Middleton (1920), Violet M. Clements (1921), M. Abbott (1921-1922), H. N. Baxter (1922-1923), Clara Taylor (1923-1927), Lydia Yager (1927-1929), Gladys L. Lovering (1929-1930), Ida Waldon (1930-1934), Mary Arden Gwendolyn Newell (1934-1936), Alma Emily Yager (1936-1940), Hester Doveta Armstrong (1940-1943), Bertha May Blackburn Ellison (1943-1945), Miss E. M. Zilkie (1945), Mrs. Elsie Dugard (1945-1948), Mrs. Constance Marion Cox (1948-1949), Stella Poberzny (1949-1950), Mrs. Evelyn Ruth Black (1950-1951), Mrs. Iris Mabel Winning (1959-1963, grades 1-4), Mrs. Anne Waschuk (1959-1960, grades 5-8), Ronald Willard McPhedrain (1960-1961, grades 5-8), Mrs. Margaretha May “Rita” Wiebe (1961-1964, grades 5-8), and Mrs. Frances Mary Hutmacher (1963-1969, grades 1-3).
Photos & Coordinates
“Tenders,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 June 1957, page 28.
“Loudoun School District 1511,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 April 1958, page 25.
Manitoba School Records Collection (GR10356), Loudoun - School Division #3, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Len Van Roon for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 28 April 2020