Historic Sites of Manitoba: Champlain School (Machray Avenue, Winnipeg)
Designed by local architect J. N. Semmens and built by the Sutherland Construction Company at a cost of $118,000, Champlain School, a two-storey structure made of red bricks, opened on 11 November 1920, the second anniversary of Armistice Day for the First World War. Although it had 12 classrooms for grades 1 to 6, only five of them were needed to handle overflow from the overcrowded Luxton School and Ralph Brown School nearby. By 1922, enrollment had increased to 508 students, under the guidance of 12 teachers.
Among the other teachers of Champlain School were May Victoria Wright (1921-1924).
Photos & Maps
“Winnipeg schools, No. 38—Champlain,” Manitoba Free Press, 29 November 1922, page 12.
“20 school board appointments made,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 May 1971, page 3.
“School posts filled,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 May 1973, page 74.
[Photo caption, Jack W. Carroll], Winnipeg Free Press, 14 June 1974, page 10.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 November 2015
Back to top of page