Memorable Manitobans: Maxim George Wawrykow (1902-1977)
Educator, civil servant, school inspector.
Born at Winnipeg on 22 August 1902, he was raised at Gimli where he attended Gimli School. After obtaining BA and BEd degrees frrom the University of Manitoba, he taught school at Gimli, Poplarfield, and Fisher Branch, and was the Principal of Fisher Branch School (1931-1934), Happy Thought School (1934-1937), and Gonor School (1938-1941). In 1941, he entered the provincial civil service, serving as Supervisor of the Visual Branch, Supervisor of School Broadcasts, Editor of The Manitoba School Journal, Provincial Supervisor of School Attendance, Assistant Director of the Teacher Training Summer School at Gimli, and Assistant Administrative Officer. In 1958, he was appointed a Manitoba School Inspector, based at Transcona, retiring in 1968. Following retirement, he joined the law firm of Wawrykow and Ogaranko, working until ill health forced his final retirement. He was a founding member of the Ukrainian Professional and Business Men’s Club, President of the Transcona Kiwanis Club, and President of the St. Joseph’s Ukrainian Catholic Church. He died at Winnipeg on 8 November 1977 and was buried in All Saints Cemetery.
Birth registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Six new school inspectors,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 May 1959, page 6.
“McLean names six to inspectoral staff,” Grandview Exponent, 28 May 1959, page 5.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 December 2019