Memorable Manitobans: Josephus Wyatt Vaughan (1845-?)
Born at Noyan, Quebec on 20 October 1845, son of Amos Hawley Vaughan (1809-1897), he came to the Red River Settlement as a member of the Wolseley Expedition, in 1870. He returned to Winnipeg in 1880. By 1882, he was a partner in the surveying firm of Vaughan, Dennis and Company. In 1884 he had his own office at 396 Main Street and later at 348 Main Street. Among his survey work was the street later named for him, and the land east of it and south of Portage Avenue to the Assiniboine River. He also surveyed elsewhere in Manitoba, having laid out the streets of Brandon. Vaughan came from a family of surveyors. His father was a founder of the Association of Manitoba Land Surveyors. His brothers Amos Charles Vaughan and Lynds Smith Vaughan were shown as surveyors in the 1881 Canadian census. He is commemorated by Vaughan Street in Winnipeg.
Great-uncle of Peyton Vaughan Lyon.
Obituary [Herbert Redmond Lyon], Winnipeg Free Press, 24 January 1969, page 31.
Burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 September 2017
Back to top of page