Memorable Manitobans: Frederick James Turner (1896-1982)
Born at Minnedosa, Manitoba on 3 February 1896, son of a CPR locomotive engineer, he received his early education in Portage la Prairie, Brandon, and Winnipeg. He took pre-law education at Wesley College then enrolled in the Manitoba Law School. His legal studies were interrupted by service with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in the First World War, where he served as a member of the 196th battalion and the First Canadian Mounted Rifles, in France, from 1916 to 1919.
On his return from overseas, he graduated from the Manitoba Law School after articling with the law firm of Pitblado and Hoskin and was called to the Manitoba Bar in 1920. Joining the firm of Pitblado, Hoskin and Company in 1933, he was made a King’s Counsel in 1941. He became a partner in the Winnipeg law firm of Sullivan and Turner in 1945, specializing in civil litigation until his retirement in 1966. He also served as a lecturer and member of the Board of Trustees of the Manitoba Law School, was President of the Manitoba Bar Association, the Blackstone Club (a luncheon and discussion club for lawyers) and the Law Society of Manitoba (1952-1953).
He and wife Beryl Cross (?-?) had two children: Diane Turner and F. Keith Turner.
“Men of Winnipeg in Diamond Jubilee Sketches,” Winnipeg Free Press, December 1934. [University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections, Winnipeg Elite Study, G. Friesen Fonds, Mss 154, Box 15, File 8]
“Seven members of Manitoba Bar are appointed King’s Counsel,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 January 1941, page 5.
The Law Society of Manitoba, 1877-1977, edited by Cameron Harvey, Peguis Publishers Limited, 1977, pages 248-249.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 28 August 1982.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 July 2019
Back to top of page