Memorable Manitobans: Charles William “Charlie” Tupper (1898-1960)
Born at Winnipeg on 26 September 1898, son of William J. Tupper and Margaret MacDonald, he was educated at St. John’s College School and Ashbury College in Ottawa, then enrolled at the Manitoba Law School in 1920. After graduating in 1923, he joined his father’s law firm where he remained until he began his own practice in 1934. He joined the attorney-general’s department in 1943. In 1949, he was made a King’s Counsel. He was a senior crown attorney, specializing in criminal cases, from 1950 to 1958 then, in 1958, he was appointed a Winnipeg city magistrate, serving until his death.
On 19 June 1929, he married Ray McDonald at Winnipeg. An avid sportsman, he played polo with the St. Charles Country Club teams (1921-1923) and was a goalie with the Winnipeg Hockey Club (1921 and 1922). He was a member of the Empire Club, Canadian Club, and United Services Club. Although he mostly shied away from politics, the grandson of former Prime Minister Charles Tupper was a past President of the Winnipeg Conservative Club.
Birth and marriage registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Ten Manitoba lawyers named King’s Counsel,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 January 1949, page 1.
“Charles W. Tupper, magistrate, dead,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 October 1960, page 39.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 2 November 1960, page 28.
Page revised: 2 March 2015
Back to top of page