Memorable Manitobans: John Gibson “Jack” Stewart (1939-1986)
Educator, community activist.
Born at East Kildonan on 17 May 1939, son of Harvey and Ruth Smith, he graduated from Lord Selkirk High School in 1957 and the Manitoba Teachers’ College in 1958. He then received BA and BEd degrees from the University of Manitoba, and was working toward an MEd degree at the time of his death.
In 1958, he began a teaching career with the River East School Division, including at Morse Place School (1959-1963, 1966-1967). He taught at all levels, including adult education, and was a pioneer in promoting outdoor activities. He was a co-founder of the Manitoba Outdoor Education Association, executive member of the River East Teachers’ Association, President of the River East Counsellors Association, President of the School Counsellors of Manitoba, Director and Team Leaders’ Coordinator of Organization for Cooperation in Overseas Development, President and Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Knowles Centre, founding member of the Board of Directors of the Elmwood-Kildonan YMCA, and a co-founder of the Elmwood-Kildonan YMCA’s Men’s Club.
In recognition of his leadership and community service, he was inducted in the Order of the Buffalo Hunt (1986), and he received the R. J. Cochrane Award for his contributions to guidance and counselling, and the Sir Hugh John Macdonald Memorial Hostel Community Service Award for efforts on behalf of youth and community.
He died at Winnipeg on 31 October 1986. He is commemorated by John G. Stewart School in Winnipeg, the Elmwood-Kildonan YMCA expansion, and the John G. Steward Outdoor Education Centre at the Knowles Centre.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 3 November 1986, page 26.
Winnipeg Estate file PR87-01-07349, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 28 March 2017