Memorable Manitobans: David Marshall (1879-?)
Born in Scotland on 23 May 1879, he studied architecture at the Glasgow School of Art and articled under James Lindsay, a prominent Glasgow architect. He came to Canada in 1906 and worked for an architectural firm at Montreal, which sent him to Manitoba to oversee the construction of branches for the Merchants Bank. He came to Brandon in early 1907 and, four years later, joined Walter Shillingham in the architectural firm of Shillinglaw and Marshall.
In 1916, he enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force and served during the First World War. He returned to Brandon in 1920 and opened his own architectural practice. He and his wife had moved to Chicago, Illinois by 1927 and he is thought to have continued his architectural work there. His last-known residence was in New Zealand, in 1951.
Some of his architectural works in Manitoba included:
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Attestation papers, Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 August 2019
Back to top of page