Historic Sites of Manitoba: McCreary Automotive Building / Gillis and Warren Building (1133 Princess Avenue, Brandon)
This brick building on Princess Avenue in Brandon was designed by local architects Walter Henderson Shillinglaw and David Marshall, and built in 1912 by contractor Charles Wesley Hall. The building was originally home to McCreary Automotive, one of the city’s first auto dealerships. The painted sign for McCreary Automotive is still visible on the building’s front façade, as are the signs advertising the sale of Whippets Trucks. In the 1940s, farming implements retailer Gillis and Warren Limited operated from this location.
Memorable Manitobans: Walter Henderson Shillinglaw (1864-1957)
Memorable Manitobans: David Marshall (1879-?)
Memorable Manitobans: Charles Wesley Hall (1866-1945)
1133 Princess Avenue, Heritage Brandon.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 July 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.