Memorable Manitobans: David Henry Laird (1875-1952)
Born at Malpeque, Prince Edward Island, he graduated from Queen’s University with a Master of Arts degree (1898). He came to Winnipeg in 1899 and studied law at the office of Munson and Allan. He was called to the Manitoba Bar in 1902. He then joined the firm of Munson, Allan, Laird, and Davis. When the seniors died, he became head of the firm. By the time of his death, the firm was known as Laird, MacInnes, Burbidge, Hetherington, Allison and Campbell. He was created a King’s Counsel in 1916. He was President and Director of the Central Land Limited, Vice-President and Director of Beaver Fire Insurance Company, President and Director of the Standard Iron Works Limited, Director of the Manitoba Bridge and Iron Works, Manitoba Rolling Mill Company, and Riverside Iron Works Limited.
He served as a Bencher of the Law Society of Manitoba from 1928 to 1943, later a Life Bencher. From 1939 to 1941 he was President of the Society. He served for 20 years as a member of the Board of Trustees of Queen’s University. He was a member of the Manitoba Historical Society, Manitoba Club, Alpine Club of Canada, Winnipeg Winter Club, St. Charles Country Club, and Westminster United Church.
“Nine new K.C.’s,” Manitoba Free Press, 24 May 1916, page 5.
“David Laird, city lawyer, dies at 76,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 February 1952.
“Funeral service slated Tuesday for D. H. Laird,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 February 1952.
“Tribute to D. H. Laird,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 February 1952.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 February 2017