Memorable Manitobans: Thomas Walter Laidlaw (1897-1965)
Born at Carberry on 7 December 1897, son of Thomas Laidlaw and Henrietta Ross Black, and grandson of John Black, he was educated at Alexandra School and the University of Manitoba, graduating in Law in 1921. He served in the First World War with the 196th Western Universities Battalion and the First Canadian Mounted Rifles, from 1916 to 1919, and during the Second World War was Commanding Officer of the University Naval Training Division.
He practiced law with the firm of Williams, Dilts, Baker and Laidlaw and was made a King’s Counsel in 1939. From 1934 to 1945, he was Dean of the Manitoba Law School, and he served as Secretary-Treasurer of the Canadian Bar Association, President of the Winnipeg Rotary Club, President of the St. Andrew’s Society of Winnipeg (1946 to 1948), and President of the Lord Selkirk Settlers Association. He served as a Bencher for the Law Society of Manitoba from 1949 to 1958. He was an elder in St. Stephens-Broadway Church, and a member of the Manitoba Club and the Royal Canadian Legion.
He died on 7 March 1965 and was buried in the Old Kildonan Cemetery.
Birth registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Seven get K.C. honor,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 January 1939, page 1.
“Many active in city’s life today attended Alexandra” by Claire Tisdale, Winnipeg Free Press, 29 January 1949.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 10 March 1965.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 January 2017
Back to top of page