Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kildonan Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (201 John Black Avenue, Winnipeg)
In 1854, the first Presbyterian Church in Western Canada was completed. It was erected by stonemason Duncan McRae under the direction of Reverend John Black, first resident Presbyterian minister. Black came to Kildonan in 1851, 37 years after the arrival of the first Presbyterian settlers from Scotland. Prior to this event the settlers attended Church of England (Anglican) services. A plaque was erected near the church by the Historic Sites Advisory Board of Manitoba. The church building is a provincially- and municipally-designated historic site.
Among the noteworthy people buried in this cemetery are A. G. B. Bannatyne, John Black, George Bryce, Charles W. Gordon, John M. King, James McDiarmid, Gilbert McMicken, Margaret S. McWilliams, Roland F. McWilliams, Alexander Ross, James Ross, and John Sutherland.
Photos & Coordinates
Old Kildonan Presbyterian Cemetery, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch
A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 July 2019
Back to top of page