Memorable Manitobans: Stephen John Klym (1913-2010)
Educator, school inspector.
Born at Garland on 29 January 1913, son of Anna Ewach, he received elementary and secondary education at Dauphin then attended the Dauphin Normal School. After teaching at Pine River School No. 1351 for four years, he moved to Flin Flon in 1937 where he was a member of the teaching staff for the next 23 years, interrupted only by four years of service, from 1941 to 1945, in the Royal Canadian Air Force. In 1945, he returned to Flin Flon and served successively as Principal of Ross Lake School (1945-1949), McIsaac School (1949-1954), and Hudson Junior High School (1954-1958), before serving as Assistant Principal of Hapnot Collegiate (1958-1960). While teaching, he earned BA and BEd degrees from the University of Manitoba. He also served as President of the Flin Flon Local of the Manitoba Teachers’ Society. For a number of years he directed the Flin Flon Schools Radio Broadcasts, presented weekly on CFAR. In 1960, he was appointed a School Inspector for the Pelly Trail School Division and later for the Seven Oaks School Division, retiring in 1975. He died at Winnipeg on 2 April 2010.
Birth registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank William Klym for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 October 2018
Back to top of page