Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pine River School District No. 1351 / Pine River Consolidated School District No. 2438 (Pine River, RM of Mountain)
The Pine River School District was organized formally in October 1905 and a school building was erected on the southwest quarter of 33-32-22 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Mountain. In 1919, a new two-room school was built by Ira Stratton and expanded with additional two classrooms in 1927. The school was completely destroyed by fire on 3 October 1952. Classes were held temporarily at the Pine River Town Hall and local United Church club room until a replacement facility was completed by the end of the school year. The district became the Pine River Consolidated School District No. 2438 in January 1966, which later became became part of the Duck Mountain School Division in April 1967.
Among the early teachers of Pine River School were William Hrushovy (1913) and Stephen John Klym (1930s).
Photos & Coordinates
“Night fire razes school at Pine River,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 October 1952, page 6.
“Rossburn hard hit in $30,000 blaze,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 October 1952, page 21.
“Pine River School District No. 1351,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 June 1953, page 27.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Camperville students back early,” Dauphin Herald, 6 September 1978, page 2.
“Teachers ready for year at Duck Mountain School Div.,” Dauphin Herald, 12 September 1979, page 19.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Pine River School District No. 1351, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Eugene Hrushowy for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 29 June 2021