Memorable Manitobans: John Hall (1862-1930)
Farmer, land speculator, municipal official.
Born at Galt, Ontario on 7 November 1862, he moved to southern Manitoba in 1885 before relocating to the Neepawa area and naming his homestead Cherry Hurst Farm. He purchased additional acreage from the Canadian Pacific Railway, including two sizable acquisitions in 1880 and 1881 in the area southeast of Holland. Having bought the land for $1 per quarter-section, he later sold it for $2,000 per quarter-section to the Bishop of Ruperts Land. By observing the spring river flooding, he found and purchased additional good ground in the district that later became known as Hallboro. By the early 1900s, when the Canadian Northern Railway was being built, his holdings extended from Carberry Junction to Hallboro. Agents approached him for right-of-way land purchases and crop compensation.
On 20 March 1889, he married Jane Green (c1859-1954) at Newdale, with whom he had five children: George Wilbur Hall (1890-1973), Olive Hall (1891-1966), Winnie Hall (1894-1991), John Douglas Hall (1899-1909), and Harold Cowan Hall (1901-1957). In 1914, he and his family moved to Neepawa and took up residence in a concrete-block house at the corner of Brown and Vivian.
He served as a Councillor for the RM of Osprey and, after moving to Neepawa, served as on the Town Council (1917-1920) and was Mayor (1922, 1923-1924). When Aberdour School was razed by fire on 15 July 1913, he proved the land for a new school to be built.
He died in 13 March 1930 and was buried in Neepawa Riverside Cemetery.
1916 Canada census, Library and Archives Canada.
Birth, marriage, and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“John Hall only nominee to Neepawa mayoralty,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 July 1923, page 30.
Heritage - A History of the Town of Neepawa and District as Told and Recorded by its People 1883-1983 by Neepawa History Book Committee. [Legislative Library of Manitoba]
First Century of Langford, 1891-1991 by Langford Centennial History Book Committee [Legislative Library of Manitoba]
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 9 February 2014