Historic Sites of Manitoba: Aberdour School / Hallboro School No. 710 (RM of Langford)
Known originally as Aberdour School when it was established in May 1892, a school building was erected at SE34-13-15W in the Rural Municipality of Langford. It was destroyed by fire on 15 July 1913 and was rebuilt on the southwest corner of SW35-13-15W, being renamed at that time Hallboro School to conform with the name of the nearby railway station, which in turn was named for early settler John Hall. The school closed in June 1963 and the district was dissolved in January 1967. The building was initially used as a community centre but was later sold privately and removed from the site. At the time of a visit in 2013, it housed a crafts shop along Highway 5 south of Neepawa (N50.13771, W99.45581).
Among the teachers at Hallboro School were Miss Van Blaricom (1892), Emma M. Carr (1898), J. Williamson (1920), Grace Munson (1931), and Joyce E. McIntyre (1963).
“Teachers at the convention,” Brandon Sun, 15 October 1920, page 6.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Quest in Roots by Brookdale Historical Society, 1987. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.B81Que]
Page revised: 6 June 2015
Back to top of page