Memorable Manitobans: Edwin Victor Caton (1884-1972)
Born at Hove, England in 1884, he trained as an electrical engineer prior to taking employment with Vickers Limited at Sheffield. The company sent him to Canada to install the first units for the Winnipeg Hydro System plant at Pointe du Bois and, from 1912 to 1922, he served as the system’s Chief Engineer. In late 1922 he joined the Winnipeg Electric Company which subsequently developed hydroelectric power plants at Great Falls and Seven Sisters. He was appointed Chief Engineer of the company in 1933 and he remained in this position until his retirement in 1953. As well, he became Manager of Electric Utility in 1948. For a period prior to retirement he held the post of Vice-President and served on the Board of Directors.
He served as President of the Canadian Electrical Association, a councillor and western Vice-President of the Engineering Institute of Canada, and President of the Association of Professional Engineers of Manitoba. In 1942 he served on a special commission investigating rural electrification in Manitoba. He served on the Engineer Advisory Board for Manitoba and was Special Consulting Engineer to the Manitoba Hydro Electric Board. In recognition of his service to the power industry in Manitoba, he was awarded a Centennial Medal by the Manitoba Historical Society. On 1 May 1914, he married Scottish immigrant Mary Kennedy Guthrie (1873-1942) at Winnipeg. They had no children. He was a member of St. Aidan’s Anglican Church and the Rotary Club of Winnipeg.
Marriage and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Mrs. E. V. Caton dies at residence,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 April 1942, page 9.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 2 October 1972.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 June 2019
Back to top of page