Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Great Falls Generating Station (Winnipeg River, RM of Alexander)

Construction of this hydroelectric generating station on the Winnipeg River, in the Rural Municipality of Alexander, began in 1914 but was halted by the First World War. Work resumed in 1919 and was completed by 1928. The station started producing electricity in 1922 and, by the time it was fully operational, it produced 129 megawatts. It was developed by the Winnipeg Electric Railway Company, a forerunner of Manitoba Hydro which operates the plant today.

Great Falls Generating Station

Great Falls Generating Station (May 1993)
Source: George Penner

Great Falls Generating Station

Great Falls Generating Station (2000)
Source: George Penner

Site Location (lat/long): N50.46309, W96.00767
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 8 August 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.