University Teachers Work to Save Library and Archives Canada
The efforts to save Library and Archives Canada (LAC), the federal institution responsible for preserving Canada’s history and cultural heritage, took on an increased urgencythis week when it was announced that 450 staff received notice they could be affected by job cuts—a direct result of the 2012 federal budget.
LAC has been under attack for years through detrimental changes that include: modernization, decentralization of operations, a moratorium on acquiring collections, reduction of public access to services, reduction in specialist personnel, and a move towards a role limited to collecting and preserving federal government records rather than of maintaining comprehensive collections of Canadian artistic, cultural, and historical materials. The Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT) has been drawing attention to these changes and how they threaten the way Canada’s history and cultural heritage are preserved and understood.
In November 2011, CAUT launched the “Save Libraries and Archives Canada” campaign to ensure that LAC maintains its commitment to preserve and make publicly available Canada's full documentary heritage. With the recent announcement, LAC’s future continues to look bleak. According to CAUT, these job cuts will result in the following:
The staff resource centre at LAC will be closed;
The interlibrary loans unit, which works with all Canadian libraries, is being closed;
The majority of cataloguing librarians positions have been declared redundant;
Circulation staff for analog holdings are being reduced by 50%;
Digitization staff are being reduced by 50%;
Conservation staff are being reduced significantly for all media;
Private sector archivists and archival assistants are being reduced;
A number of valuable vacant positions will not be replaced.
According to Jim Turk, CAUT Executive Director, a number of detrimental changes already in effect have resulted in LAC losing multiple important historical records. These include, but are not limited to:
Two original military pieces on the Seven Years’ War, which were sold to the United States. No other copies exist in Canada.
A royal proclamation from the War of 1812 regarding American non-combatants. No other copies exist. It was sold to the United States.
The earliest, and only known copy of a Canadian publication of Jewish liturgical music, written in Hebrew and Yiddish, composed by Rev. L. Herzig from 1915. No other known copy exists.
Two books of nursery rhymes and engravings by Catharine Parr Traill from 1825 and 1830. No other copies exist.
A series of journals from 1903-05 on settlers and First Nations people of the north shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Labrador Coast. It contains geographical descriptions, First Nations’ lore and missionary activity. No other copies exist.
CAUT is calling on the federal government to amend the LAC Act to ensure its mandate includes developing a comprehensive, not selective, collection of Canadian material and to roll back the cuts in funding.Now, more than ever, support is needed if we want to preserve our history.
Canadians are encouraged to write to their local Member of Parliament, the Minister of Canadian Heritage & Official Languages, and to Library & Archives of Canada to voice concerns with the changes and recent cuts. CAUT has provided a sample letter for use.
Posted: 4 May 2012
Free Online Lectures on Canada’s Forest History
The Canadian Institute of Forestry is offering a series of free online lectures about the history of Canada’s forests. Lectures will run from 16 May to 4 July 2012, for approximately one hour on Wednesdays at 1:30 PM Eastern Standard Ttime, and will feature experts and practitioners from across Canada.
Speaker / Presentation
Jim Farrell & Dr. Mark Kuhlberg Canada’s Forest History: Deep Roots Support Strong Growth
Stan Chester & Mike Apsey BC Forest History - Past, Present and Future &
BC Forest Service Centenary
Bruce Mayer & Peter Murphy Alberta’s forest history and the Forest History Association of Alberta &
Tie logging in Jasper Park in the 1920s
Ken Armson & Rob Galloway The Ontario Forest History Society - Background & Activities &
Englehart Management Unit Area Forest History 1912-2000
Martin Hébert Multiple Histories, Multiple Perspectives: The Challenges and Opportunities of Forest History in Québec
Mark McLaughlin & William Parenteau The New Brunswick Forest Authority, 1973-1980: An Experiment in Government-Managed Forests &
Gilbert Prince and the Emergence of Progressive Forest Legislation in New Brunswick, 1906-1918
David Brownstein Canadian Forest History: A Path Forward?
David Brownstein An Introductory Workshop on Forest History Writing
All lectures are free, although consideration of Canadian Institute of Forestry membership would be appreciated. To become a member, go to www.cif-ifc.org/en/registration.
For additional information and to register for the lectures, contact:
The Rural Municipality of Morris is undertaking an inventory of heritage building within its jurisdiction, with financial support of the Heritage Matters initiative of the Manitoba government. Heritage consultant Lorne Thompson will be gathering information about homes, businesses, and sites within the municipality that appear to be of older origin. The project will result in a collection that will assist the RM in promoting tourism and development opportunities. Those wanting more information should contact the RM office at 204-746-2642 or Reeve Ralph Groening at 204-746-5394.
Canadian Government Cuts Important Program for Community Archives
On 30 April 2012, the Canadian federal government announced the immediate termination of the National Archives Development Program (NADP), which had formerly been administered by the Canadian Council of Archives on behalf of Library and Archives Canada. The announcement is in addition to sweeping cuts to Library and Archives Canada itself, which will lose 105 positions and, as a result, will no longer offer reference service to ‘walk in’ researchers.
Since the NADP was introduced in 1985, many of Canada’s community archives have been supported by it. Funds were used to preserve historically important records and make them available to the public. This included arranging and describing record acquisitions, as well as doing behind-the-scenes work necessary to mount collection descriptions in online databases. This benefit to historians and other researchers has given previously unknown collections a worldwide reach.
The NADP also supported provincial archival associations as they gave advice on administering and conserving archival records to hundreds of small- and medium-sized institutions. This advice was given without charge and was invaluable to establishments run on donations and part-time or volunteer labour. Standards for administration of Canadian archival collections, developed by these provincial associations, are emulated around the world. These associations have also been leaders in the development of professional education for archivists at reasonable cost to volunteers and paid staff alike.
The Manitoba Genealogical Society is calling on all beneficiaries of archives—whether national or local—to add their voices to those asking for reversal of cuts to Library and Archives Canada. It also urges the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, Treasury Board and the Government of Canada to rescind the termination of the NADP.
Posted: 3 May 2012
Print of Canada’s Oldest Grain Elevator to Aid Preservation
Sales of a limited-edition art print of the grain elevator at Elva, Manitoba—thought to be the oldest of its kind in Canada—will help to preserve this and other historic grain elevators in Manitoba.
Elva is now the oldest country grain elevator in the country after the loss of an elevator at Fleming, Saskatchewan in 2010. This elevator was built at Elva by the Lake of the Woods Milling Company between 1892 and 1899. It became part of Ogilvie Milling in 1954, when the the two companies merged. It was sold to Manitoba Pool in 1959, which closed it in the late 1960s and sold it to private interests. It is currently owned by businessman C. P. Cook of Westhope, North Dakota.
Conceived by artist Christopher Walker, the print features a winter scene of the Elva elevator, with a modern locomotive passing it. Noted Walker, “As I painted the train, I imagined a train engineer’s reaction as melancholy yet reassured while swiftly passing by this elevator that at one time served many families of grain farmers.”
The 29 by 29 inch print, on archival paper, is available in a limited-edition series of 350 signed and numbered copies for $490 each. There are also 35 Artist’s Proofs available for $590. They can be purchased directly from the artist at email@example.com. Visa and Mastercard are accepted.
Fifty percent of the proceeds from print sales will go to preservation of historic Manitoba grain elevators.
Symposium to Commemorate 200th Anniversary of Selkirk Settlement
In commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the arrival of the Selkirk Settlers at the future site of Winnipeg, the Manitoba Historical Society will host a free one-day public symposium with noted historians and scholars. All are welcome to attend, and lunch will be provided at no charge. Due to limited seating, those wishing to attend must register in advance by calling 204-947-0559 or sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk-ups on the day of the symposium may have to be turned away.
The stamp depicts various kinds of people involved with the initial wave of settlement. They are not drawn as individuals but as abstract representations of the different characters and ethnic groups in the area at that time. Métis, local trappers, a native Chief and the settlers, each playing a role in the establishment of this progressive colony, are represented on the stamp.
In keeping with the historic theme of the stamp, the stamp launch took place at Ross House Museum, the first post office in Western Canada, in north Winnipeg. The museum is operated on behalf of the City of Winnipeg by the Manitoba Historical Society.
One hundred complimentary Official First Day Covers were distributed to those attending the launch. Stamps were available for sale inside Ross House, which was designated an Honourary Post Office for the day. A special Day of Issue cancel was also available.
Additional information about Canadian stamps can be found in the news section of Canada Post’s website, and photos of these new stamps are also available. Stamps and other products will be available at participating post offices, or can be ordered online by following the links at canadapost.ca/collecting, or by mail order from the National Philatelic Centre. From Canada and the USA, call toll-free 1-800-565-4362, and from other countries, call 902-863-6550.
The stamp launch took place next to Ross House Museum on Thursday, 3 May. Source:Gordon Goldsborough
A presentation of the special Selkirk stamp was made by Canada Post Vice-President
Susan Margles to Selkirk Bicentenary Committee Co-Chairs Phyllis Fraser (left)
and Lawrence Prout (right). Source: Gordon Goldsborough
MHS Past Presidents Harry Duckworth (left) and Gordon Goldsborough (right)
participated in the launch of the Selkirk commemorative stamp. Source: Victor Sawelo
Posted: 23 April 2012, updated 3 May 2012
New Book on Rafferty-Alameda Dam Project
A new book by Winnipeg writer Bill Redekop on the controversial Rafferty-Alameda project will be launched in mid-May. Published by Heartland Associates, Dams of Contention: The Rafferty–Alameda Story and the Birth of Canadian Environmental Law is the cautionary tale of the ill-advised construction of two dams on the Souris River system in southern Saskatchewan, which flooded 80 kilometres of verdant prairie valley.
Politically inspired, economically unfeasible and environmentally ruinous, the dams became the subject of a long legal and political battle between farmers Ed and Harold Tetzlaff and the Saskatchewan government in the late 1980s and the early 1990s. Ultimately, as Winnipeg lawyer Alan Scarth, who represented the brothers for years, said, ‘The Tetzlaffs lost the battle [and their land, which was ultimately flooded], but won the war, for their case led to the creation of environmental law in Canada.’
In addition to well-rounded profiles of many of the leading characters of the period, including Saskatchewan Premier Grant Devine, Deputy Premier Eric Berntson, federal Environment Ministers Tom McMillan and Lucien Bouchard, environmentalist Elizabeth May (now national Green Party leader), and North Dakota Congressman and later Senator Orlin Hanson, Dams of Contention begins and ends with the ultimate result of the contentious dam building—the disastrous flooding of Minot, North Dakota in 2011.
The launch will be held at McNally Robinson Booksellers on Wednesday, 16 May 2012 at 8 PM. All are welcome to attend.
Posted: 20 April 2012
Brick Building in Historic Exchange District Destroyed by Fire
One of the oldest brick buildings in the Exchange District of Winnipeg has been destroyed by an intense fire on 19 April 2012.
The two-storey wood frame and brick veneer house was built on the site in 1877 by local contractor J. J. Johnston as a rental property for John O. LeCappellain. In March 1882, the house was moved several feet to the south to make way for construction of a two-storey business block. When LeCappellain experienced financial difficulties in 1885, title to the building transferred to the Manitoba and North West Loan Company.
The house had residential tenants until early in the 20th century when it was converted to commercial use by a new owner, agent R. H. Moody. Successive occupants included the weekly French-language newspaper L’Echo de Manitoba, a messenger service, and a tailor. In 1924, the house was surrounded by a one-storey, brick block with a flat roof designed and built by local contractor William A. Irish. Initially, it contained four retail stores: a barber shop, a tailor, a watch shop, and a safe works. The house, no longer visible from the street, then returned to residential use.
Constructed of coarse yellow bricks, the old structure was extensively damaged in the fire and, as a result, its remains were destroyed and the site has been leveled. There has been no statement on the cause of the blaze, which apparently originated in a music store that had been housed in it.
View of the Albert Business Block fire (19 April 2012) Source:Ed Ledohowski
View of the Albert Business Block fire (19 April 2012) Source:Ed Ledohowski
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Business Block (38-44 Albert Street, Winnipeg)
Posted: 20 April 2012, updated 23 April 2012
Short Lists for 2011 McWilliams Awards Announced
Today, the Manitoba Historical Society announces the short lists for the 2011 Margaret McWilliams Awards. The purpose of the McWilliams Awards, one of the oldest literary prizes in Canada, is to encourage the study and interpretation of the history of Manitoba. They were instituted in 1955 by the Manitoba Historical Society as a memorial to Margaret S. McWilliams. Books to be recognized have been published during the 2011 calendar year.
Readings from short-listed books will be given on Thursday, 3 May 2012, 7:00 PM at McNally-Robinson Booksellers (Winnipeg Location, Grant Park, Atrium). The winners will be announced on Manitoba Day (12 May).
Winnipeg Historian Receives Distinguished Service Award
Heritage Winnipeg presented awards to two building projects, as well as a service award to one of its volunteers at a recent ceremony commemorating National Heritage Day, on 20 February 2012.
Celine Kear, who has served faithfully for many years on the Board of Heritage Winnipeg, and also was a President of the Manitoba Historical Society, was honoured with a Distinguished Service Award. Also receiving awards were the Kantor / Moss House at 218 Roslyn Road and the Barber House at 99 Euclid Avenue.
Culture, Heritage and Tourism Minister Flor Marcelino brought greetings to the
Heritage Winnipeg 2012 Preservation Awards Source:Gordon Goldsborough
Celine Kear received a Distinguished Service Award at the 2012
Heritage Winnipeg Preservation Awards on 25 February Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Barber House (99 Euclid Avenue, Winnipeg)
Posted: 3 March 2012
MHS Dalnavert Museum Introduces New School Programs
The Manitoba Historical Society’s Dalnavert Museum has introduced several exciting, new programs for children.
Spring Break Programs - Treasure Hunt!
Come out, come out and play! Pop by Dalnavert this Spring Break and wander through the museum, looking for treasures. Find all the treasures and you win a prize! After hunting for treasure, head up to Dalnavert's attic and make a Victorian-era toy to take home. This family drop-in program is suitable for ages 5 and up. Children must be accompanied by at least one adult.
Join us at Dalnavert for fun in the sun! My Secret Garden is a drop-in program for boys and girls ages 6-12. Through crafts, stories, and games, students learn about plants and insects, the history of Dalnavert, and the importance of gardening in the past and present.
In 2012, we are excited to launch Dalnavert’s five new, curriculum-linked, inquiry-based school programs. All five programs are designed specifically to complement and support Manitoba Curriculum-based classroom learning and provide a unique experience for students through hands-on activities and Dalnavert’s immersive educational setting.
Dr. Alison Marshall, who participated in one of the first offerings of the new programs, was impressed. “It was a splendid trip! From the time capsule to the hair wreath to the call buttons, the tour provided a fascinating and engaging window into 1895 life and customs,” she said.
For more information about these and other programs of Dalnavert Museum, contact the museum by phone at 204-947-0559 or by email at email@example.com.
Posted: 3 March 2012
Hudson’s Bay Company Archives Receives Rare Collection of Silent Films
A rare collection of Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC) films has been returned to Canada from England and has been added to the permanent holdings of the Hudson’s Bay Company Archives (HBCA) in Winnipeg, Culture, Heritage and Tourism Minister Flor Marcelino announced today.
“These extraordinary films bring to life records already held at the Hudson’s Bay Company Archives and help create a more complete picture of HBC’s long history in the Canadian North,” said Marcelino. “The motion pictures provide a unique glimpse into Inuit and First Nations communities and HBC operations across northern Canada from 1919 to 1939.”
The bulk of the donation consists of what was once part of a two-hour silent film called Romance of the Far Fur Country. The film was commissioned in 1920 by the Hudson’s Bay Company to celebrate its 250th anniversary. The original full-length feature film premiered in May 1920 in Winnipeg’s Allen Theatre, known today as the Metropolitan, and was also shown in movie theatres across Western Canada. Footage includes segments shot from the HBC supply ship the Nascopie on its voyage from Montreal to the eastern Arctic and Hudson’s Bay. Along the way, HBC personnel and buildings, indigenous peoples and activities associated with the operations of the HBC were filmed. Also included in early footage are sequences of pageants and parades in Winnipeg, Calgary, Victoria and Vancouver. The return of the films from England was possible through funding support from the Hudson’s Bay Company History Foundation and the Hudson’s Bay Company Archives Trust Fund.
“The survival of these films is remarkable. Only a small amount of Canada’s silent film heritage has survived due to the fragile nature of the nitrate film base,” said Marcelino.
Until the recent transfer to the HBCA in Winnipeg, the films were preserved for the past several decades by the British Film Institute National Archive in London. The entire collection, about 40 reels of original footage, was digitized prior to the films leaving London. Copies will soon be available for researchers, film makers and anyone interested in Canadian history. The fragile originals are carefully protected in the Archives of Manitoba storage specifically designed for film records.
Screenings of a selection of the footage to celebrate this new acquisition for the Hudson’s Bay Company Archives will take place on three consecutive Wednesday evenings, 15 February at 7 PM at Cinematheque, 100 Arthur Street and 22 February and 29 February at 7:00 PM at the Archives of Manitoba, 200 Vaughan Street. For more information please contact the Hudson’s Bay Company Archives, Archives of Manitoba, 204-945-4949 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Excerpts from Romance of the Far Fur Country on YouTube:
Local Historians Among First to Receive Diamond Jubilee Medals
On 6 February 2012, the 60th anniversary of the accession of Queen Elizabeth II to the throne, the Honourable Philip S. Lee, Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba, recognized the public service of five Manitobans by presenting them with Diamond Jubilee Medals. They included Dr. David Barnard (University of Manitoba President and Vice-Chancellor), Mr. Barry Rempel (President and CEO, Winnipeg Airports Authority), and Lieutenant Colonel A. S. “Sandy” Will (Aide de Camp to five Lieutenant Governors), along with two Past Presidents of the Manitoba Historical Society, Dr. Harry Duckworth (University of Manitoba) and Dr. Gordon Goldsborough (University of Manitoba). Over the course of the rest of the year, other Manitobans will receive the medal in recognition of their community service. The presentation ceremony in the Blue Room of the Manitoba Legislature preceded the unveiling of a special Diamond Jubilee ice sculpture on the front grounds of the building, and the turning on of lights to wash the building with purple and gold colours of the Diamond Jubilee crest.
First recipients of the Diamond Jubilee Medal, in the Manitoba Legislature.
L-R: Dr. Harry Duckworth, Dr. David Barnard, Her Honour Anita Lee,
His Honour the Honourable Philip Lee, Mr. Barry Rempel,
Dr. Gordon Goldsborough, Lieutenant Colonel Sandy Will
Source: Tracey Goncalves, Manitoba Government Photographer
Posted: 7 February 2012
Information Sought for Graysville School Commemorative Plaque
In 2010, Graysville School closed after serving its community since 1909. Among the items removed from the school building was a brass plaque commemorating former students who had been killed during the Second World War: Allan Baker, Fred Duncan, Joe Fuller, Harold Glenn, Jim Kee, Glen Kennedy, and Bob McIntyre.
Curiously, the inscription on the plaque notes that it was produced “in memory of the boys of this school” without specifically identifying Graysville School. This leads school historian Ethel Hook to wonder if the plaque has counterparts in other schools around Manitoba, produced as part of a general program. If so, she is interested in knowing when the plaques were sold or provided to schools, what company made or provided them, and why the school name was not engraved on them.
Anyone having information on similar school plaques commemorating Second World War casualities is asked to contact the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Graysville School plaque for Second World War casualities Source: Ethel Hook
Posted: 2 February 2012
New Book on Two Pioneering Educators and Historians
Michael Ewanchuk was born on a bush homestead, the son of a Ukrainian immigrant. The story of his life is the quintessential story of the Ukrainian immigrant making his way in Manitoba, overcoming disadvantages of lowly origins and obstacles of prejudice, migrating in search of work, and pursuing education as a path to prosperity. Muriel Smith, also of pioneer stock, was born in southwestern Manitoba. Her life path was determined by her gender and by economic forces well beyond her control that took her into education.
As pioneer teachers, Michael and Murial Ewanchuk helped to shape the course of education in Manitoba. That they met and married defied the odds, as their backgrounds could scarcely have been more different. The story of their lives parallels the social development of the province and the societies that they represented.
Trailblazers: The Lives and Times of Michael Ewanchuk and Muriel (Smith) Ewanchuk
by John Lehr and David McDowell
Carpathia Publishers, 2011, 232 pages
260 Carpathia Road
Winnipeg, MB R3N 1S9
Copies may be ordered from the publishers at $28.50 including taxes.
Posted: 29 January 2012
New Project on Scottish Highland Clearances Marks 200th Anniversary
A major new project about the ‘Highland Clearances’ was launched in June 2011 at Timespan, a museum and art gallery located in Helmsdale, in the northern Scottish county of Sutherland. Museum Without Walls uses new media app technology to open the door to the landscape and people of the Clearances – venturing beyond the walls of the museum to begin an exciting journey of discovery along a trail of reflection. For many visitors who have ancestors who were involved in the Clearances it will be like going home!
2013 marks the 200th anniversary of the instigation of the large scale removal of the native population in the Strath of Kildonan by the landowners and the establishment of large sheep and arable farms. The sequence of historical events that followed changed the lives of the people and the landscape forever. In 1813, a party of over 80 people left their homes in the Strath and emigrated to the Red River Settlement, an area that later developed into the City of Winnipeg. The trail tells the incredible story of those who left and the struggles endured by those who stayed behind.
Strath of Kildonan Source: Jacquie Aitken
In the run up to 2013, Timespan is using cutting edge digital technologies to develop a Clearances trail in the Strath of Kildonan in the form of a software application for smart phones and tablets. App users can access the information in the comfort of their own homes or they can come to the beautiful Strath of Kildonan and experience the landscape and stories for themselves. Visitors can download the app in Timespan or hire an ipod touch. The trail will start in the museum with a new interactive display that will lead visitors along the Strath road to learn about its history and the events that took place there nearly 200 years ago. The app will be completed and ready for use by May 2012.
The trail consists of 10 way-marked locations extending in length from the area around the village of Helmsdale and the Emigrant’s Monuments to the area around Kinbrace and cemetery. App users will be guided along the trail with the aid of GPS map navigation and audio instructions. The additional guidance aid of wooden way markers positioned at the 10 trail locations will be necessary to ensure all users have a visual reference to show them that they have arrived at the desired position and can navigate around this location in any direction, i.e. east of way marker etc.
Timespan hopes that the new Clearances app trail will provide a valuable interpretation tool for visitors, both from home and abroad, who wish to understand more fully the landscape and history of the Sutherland Clearances. It has been developed to provide a valuable additional educational resource for Scottish school children. As part of the Curriculum for Excellence, Scottish qualifications are changing and the new National 5s for History will include an entire topic called the Sutherland Clearances.
Scottish Group Seeks Links with Manitoba Knitters and Dancers
Timespan, a museum and art gallery based in Helmsdale, Scotland, is keen to develop a joint project with knitting groups and Scottish dancing groups in the Winnipeg area. The people of Sutherland would like to share their music, dance and knitting traditions with the people of Manitoba to explore shared histories and learn about new ideas and themes that have been developed over the last 200 years, in light of the 200th anniversary in 2012 of the arrival of the Selkirk Settlers at the Red River Settlement.
Join the ‘Sock Sampler’ project of the Helmsdale Knitting Group and learn to knit old and new stocking patterns, i.e. one stocking knitted in Scotland and the other knitted in Manitoba. They will send you a parcel of knitting yarns, patterns and stories.
Local dance groups can become involved in collaborative song and dance exchange projects where they can learn to sing old Sutherland songs, including ‘Old Kildonan’ and the ‘Kildonan Gaelic place names song’, as well as the traditional dances of the old Scottish villages halls. If you or your group would like to participate please contact Jacquie Aitken at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Heartland Associates’ recently published Much Ado About Squat presents a view of Manitoba’s settlement period very different from most accounts. Part history, part historical fiction, the book brings Riding Mountain’s volatile settlement period to life.
The subtitle Squatters and Homesteaders Ravage Riding Mountain Forest reveals the unique approach of author Ron Stevens, a retired Winnipeg teacher. Basing his story on archival material, Stevens tells of the influx of immigrant settlers from Ontario and Great Britain to the southeastern spur of Riding Mountain during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. He brings to life historic characters of the developing community in their acts of defiance, lawlessness, cruelty, greed and fraud. But even when the gentler side of human nature is portrayed—compassion, humour, neighborliness—the end result of the poaching, squatting and homesteading is the destruction of rich resources of mountain forest.
Much Ado About Squat
by Ron Stevens
A new Winnipeg City By-Law provides guidelines for the naming and renaming of city streets, and encourages names recognizing local history and people. Passed by the Winnipeg city council on 28 September 2011, the By-Law states that street names or honorary street names should satisfy at least one of five goals: 1) to honour and commemorate noteworthy people associated with the City of Winnipeg, 2) to commemorate local history, organizations, places, events, or culture, 3) to strengthen neighbourhood identity and community commitment, 4) to recognize native wildlife, flora, fauna, or natural features related to the community and the City of Winnipeg, or 5) to recognize communities which contribute to the ethno-racial diversity of Winnipeg.
When naming streets after people, preference will be given to those based on:
A person who demonstrates excellence, courage or exceptional dedication to service in ways that bring special credit to the City of Winnipeg;
A person who volunteers and gives extraordinary help or care to individuals, families or groups, or supports community services or humanitarian causes;
A person who fosters equality and reduces discrimination;
A person who risks his or her life to save or protect others;
A person who has achieved a noteworthy accomplishment or has otherwise acted in an outstanding professional manner or met an uncommonly high standard that brings great benefit or honour to the City of Winnipeg;
An early pioneer or group or settlers who have contributed to the development of the City;
Individuals who reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the City;
Individuals who have made significant contributions to their field of endeavour, including the arts, entertainment, business, profession, athletics, public service, etc.
Former Mayors, City Councillors or other political representatives from Winnipeg.
Starting mid-February, the Daly House Museum in Brandon will be presenting a new original exhibit entitled Behind Closed Doors, focussing on private life in the late-Victorian period.
One of the themes presented in the new exhibit will be courtship and romantic relationships, as a complement for Valentine’s Day. They will look at the strict rules of courtship, and re-examine myths of Victorian prudishness. A display of Victorian Valentine’s day cards will be included in this section.
The exhibit will also feature a section on the complications of Victorian underwear. Victorians, both male and female, were required to wear layers of underwear to keep themselves warm and their clothing clean. The most controversial piece of underwear was the corset. By the late Victorian era, experts were arguing whether the “beautifying” effects of the corset were worth the damage to a woman’s health.
Victorians, especially women, devoted a great deal of their private time to using cosmetics and medications to prepare themselves for their public lives. The new exhibit will include a display and information on the most commonly used over-the-counter medications and cosmetic practices of the period.
Behind Closed Doors will showcase many of the wonderful artefacts from the museum collection which are not usually on display. It will also feature new design elements sponsored by the Daly House Museum Ladies’ Auxiliary. The exhibit will open on 11 February and run until the end of March. For more information please contact Maryann Buri or Eileen Trott at the Daly House Museum: 204-727-1722 or email@example.com.
Here is a sample YouTube video on the new exhibit: