Manitoba Communities: Waskada (Unincorporated Village)
The community of Waskada was founded around a post office established here in 1883. One story is that it was named by the federal government for an Aboriginal word meaning “the best of everything.” Another story, attributed to Dr. R. S. Thornton, was that the name derived from a Sioux expression Wa-sta-daow meaning “better further on” which was supposedly the phrase they told early settlers in hopes they would keep moving and not settle down.
Search the MHS collection of biographies for ones connected to Waskada:
Photos & Maps
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 November 2017