This two-storey brick building next to St. Edward’s Roman Catholic Church houses St. Edward’s School. Established in 1909, the school building was constructed by contractor D. H. Barlow and opened for classes in grades 1 to 4 on 8 November 1909. The structure had four classrooms, a priest’s residence, and a small chapel.
Among the teachers of St. Edward’s School was Mary St. Laurence [Henrietta Molloy] (7 years).
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Edward’s Roman Catholic Church (836 Arlington Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Edward’s Convent (800 Adele Avenue, Winnipeg)
Obituary [Reverend Mother Mary St. Laurence], Winnipeg Tribune, 6 July 1964.
“A Short History,” St. Edward’s School.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 August 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.