This two-storey brick and stone building on Adele Avenue (formerly a portion of Yarwood Avenue) in the Daniel McIntyre area of Winnipeg, was designed by local architect Charles Saunders Bridgman and built in 1922. It was formerly the St. Edward's Roman Catholic Convent. After being vacated by the church, it was used as a group home for Indigenous children.
Memorable Manitobans: Charles Saunders Bridgman (1876-1965)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Edward’s Roman Catholic Church (836 Arlington Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Edward’s School (836 Arlington Street, Winnipeg)
The Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions by Antoine S. Lussier
Manitoba Pageant, Volume 23, Number 4, Summer 1978
Dawson Richardson Building, 171 McDermot Avenue by Murray Peterson, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, January 2000.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk, George Penner, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 March 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.