Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grey Nuns Convent / Le Musée de Saint-Boniface Museum (494 Tache Avenue, Winnipeg)
This building, constructed between 1846 and 1851 using oak logs with the Red River frame technique, was originally the Grey Nuns Convent. As a mission house, it provided facilities for the Nuns’ various works of education and charity, which included caring for the aged and orphans, treating the sick, and instructing children. It is now the oldest building in Winnipeg and is the home of the St. Boniface Museum, opened in 1966.
A plaque on a limestone base in front to the museum was placed there by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. An adjacent City of Winnipeg plaque unveiled by Mayor William Norrie on 18 June 1991 commemorates the canonization of Sister Marguerite D’Youville, the first Canadian-born saint, founder of the Grey Nuns order which arrived in the Red River Settlement in 1844. The building (a municipally-designated historic site) underwent renovation in the mid-1990s, for which it received a Heritage Winnipeg Conservation Award in 1996.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
Grey Nuns' Convent (St. Boniface Museum), (494 Avenue Tache), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, 1995.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 July 2020
Back to top of page